Saturday, February 14, 2009

Foods Toxic To Dogs

Some human foods that should not be consumed by dogs include: 

Intoxicating Beverages, Such as Beer, Wine, Spirits: 

Consumption of these beverages may lead to coma or possibly death. Symptoms of alcoholic beverage overdose may include, excitement, depression, sadness, stumbling, cardiac arrest, and death. 

Chocolate, Tea, Coffee, Coffee Beans: 

Their content of caffeine, theophylline, or theobromine affects the nervous system and the heart. Chocolate overdose symptoms may include, excessive panting, hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, and death. 

Grapes, Raisins: 

Kidney failure may be caused by an unknown toxin which is present in grapes in raisins. Syptoms of poisening from grapes or raisins may include abdominal pain, vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, and a halt in the production of urine. Ingestion by your pet may be fatal and even cause death. 

Macadamia Nuts: 

An unknown toxin present in macadamia nuts may experience undesired affects of the nervous and digestive systems. They may also have negative affects on muscles. Symptoms may include muscle tremors, stiffness, weakness, sadness, gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, and lethargy. 

Garlic, Onions: 

Onions and Garlic contain contain substances which damage red blood cells. Symptoms include, anemia, lethargy, weakness, discolored urine, diarrhea, and vomiting. Processed, fresh, cooked, and powdered forms should be avoided. 


Different mushrooms contain different toxins which affect several body systems. Symptoms may include, abdominal pain, shock, kidney failure, liver failure, hallucinations, diarrhea, vomiting, coma, and even death. 

Prevention is the key, keeping these foods away from your pet to avoid possible toxic poisoning and overdose. If your dog is suspected of eating any of these foods get them to a veterinarian immediately.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Blog Buzzer

Learn about dogs

No comments:

Post a Comment